Black strap molasses is the thick, dark, and viscous molasses left over after maximum extraction of sugar from raw sugar cane. Black strap molasses, not to be confused with table molasses, is loaded with tons of nutrients not found in table sugar. 1 table spoon of black strap will provide you with up to 20% of your recommended daily intake of B6, magnesium, calcium, iron and potassium. Yes it's a sweetener and it shouldn't be eaten in large quantities, but a small dose a day is an easy way to get in a little extra nutrients. Best of all, it's fairly cheap for a large amount. You'll want to buy one without sulphates and preferably organic.
Black strap molasses is fairly bitter, it's not as sweet as the table or fancy stuff. It's the kind of thing that puts hair on your knuckles! I would compare the flavour to that of a dark rum, after you've had a spoon of black strap it's not hard to tell that rum comes from sugar cane. That being said, it's not likely that everyone will enjoy taking a spoon of the stuff straight! This is why I enjoy mixing mine with a little bit of full fat coconut milk, water, and ice. The recipe is simple and it doesn't require you to do any strict measurements. Just mix and enjoy!
Here's What You'll Need:
- 1 tbsp Black Strap Molasses
- 1/4 cup - 1/2 cup full fat coconut milk (eye ball it and use what you like)
Here's How To Put It Together:
- Pour your coconut milk into your favourite mug or glass
- Spoon in your black strap molasses
- Add a few ice cubes
- Top off with cold water until you get the desired amount. If you want it thick, add less. If you want it light, add more.
- Stir with your spoon to mix it all up